The resilience of this little girl still
astounds me. Although she may fuss and whine at times, she continues to develop
in ways that changes my perception of what strength
happens to be. Persevere over impossibilities by sheer definition is Olivia. On
another note, I have come to notice that each day I am assigned a new “task”
for Olivia. Gone are the days of “daddy, you can take the temperature now”
while transitioning to “ok daddy, lift the baby, support the neck, hold her
literal life in YOUR VERY HANDS...” The weight of responsibility of being a
supportive father forces me to consider my actions circumspectly. If I am not
careful, paranoia will prevent me from making challenging decisions in Olivia’s
life. That is to say, at some point I will need her to experience failure, the
inevitable learning curve. Along with my new responsibilities I was able to
hold Olivia in my arms. This is definitely like being hired for custodial work
in an organization, then moving to CEO level and organizing the next board room
meeting. Needless to say, my hesitation for other responsibilities did not
prevent me from seizing this opportunity!
As they prepared her by wrapping the swaddle
around her body, I began to experience mixed emotions and thoughts began
rushing in like the Atlantic Ocean tide. That is “what is the message that I am
gaining from this experience, am I allowing for God to speak to me each day,
what else can I do to be a better father?” And then finally the moment came and
all the questions, the pondering, theorizing and the like really didn’t matter
as much. My bills and the school project really did not matter. Politics and
the economic crisis did not matter. Racial division and religion really did not
matter. What I wanted to eat later did not matter. My frustration of my own
faults did not matter. The career choices that will affect us financially really
did not matter. Even questions that I thought were pressing such as being a
good parent really did not matter as much. None of it mattered. I just stared
at her body, where her feet and hands would be, the breaths coming out of her
body, the puff around her eyes and thought “what a marvelous, beautiful little angel.”
To say that she is daddy’s little girl would be an understatement.
aweeeeeeeeeeeee so precious... auntie lilah
ReplyDelete